Friday, April 6, 2007

Steilacoom WiFi project




Apparently a certain Steilacoom citizen is opposed to the placement of devices in support of the Steilacoom wireless fidelity (WiFi) program, as it puts a small cylinder on top of the light post in front of his view of the Sound from atop his hillside residence.


"Regardless of the economics and whether or not there is any cost to the town, there is no price for the loss of the beauty that is Steilacoom." he blogs.

He is apparently so disappointed that he wrote a letter to the editor of the Hometown Clipper, developed a blog, and brought it up at a city council meeting.

My question is... what about the wonderful new crosswalk signs placed in the middle of the roadway?

Are these not an eyesore as well? I guess if they don't impede your view, they are alright. Personally... I think they take away from the old town feel.


They are in the center of my daily commute. On a side note, I would like to say thanks to the sign maker for informing me that running over a pedestrian is against state law as opposed to logic or common sense.

Why does the citizen opposing the WiFi antennas not oppose the larger, more colorful street signs? Are they not line of sight to his view of the water? If they move the wireless canisters directly over the top of the pole, will that be okay? I guess I'm tired of people presenting personal matters as a community issue.

The WiFi system is going to support emergency staff as a communication hub in the event of an emergency. I think that is great. After working with those involved in the Hurricane Katrina recovery, I know for fact that every little bit of communications equipment helps. Even if it blocks a hundred square inches of someone's view.

The future pricing of system access is unknown. Hopefully the city will keep the prices down for residents.

-John

2 comments:

Roger Cantaloube said...

The WiFi antennaes are no more unsightly than the light poles that they are perched atop. No more unsightly than the neon croswalk signs(unfortunately we have bad drivers that even these signs won't help). Far less unsightly than the neighbors giant blue tarp covering their dog run which I will soon be lobbying the city to have the tarp removed. And finally not nearly as annoying as the transient drivers speeding past Sequalish with their speakers booming and rattling my windows. Maybe if the city would spend as much time posting noise ordinance signs as the police spend handing out speeding tickets which are well deserved by the way, then maybe we can continue to enjoy the peaceful, quiet, small town atmosphere that we have enjoyed these many years.

Roger Cantaloube said...

Here's a note to that clown Michael who I sent this to his asinine blog. He moderates that blog so there's probably countless posters who he didn't allow, including myself.also,as of this posting the Town of Steilacoom dump truck backed over the Comcast cable box at the street(they're relining the sewers here) and now My Comcast is out. I was 100% convinced that this WiFi was a great idea now I'm 110% convinced that this WiFi "EXPERIMENT" is a great idea. Stick that in your hat Michael!



"I will have to disagree with you michael. These pods are not even close to the worst thing that you can see from your location and mine. I have to look at Mcneil Island every day and apparently so do you. If that's not an eyesore and a waste of taxpayers money I don't know what is. It would certainly be cheaper to operate a new prison on the mainland that is not accessed only by barge. Now that would be a worthwhile cause to lobby to close Mcneil Island and build a prison in the middle of,say Yakima Firing Center or Hanford. The WiFi network is here to stay so embrace the fact that the Public Safety Department has another line of communication to better help even you. If the antenna annoys you that much convince the city to move it or pay to have it moved yourself. I would gladly help you to convince the city to have it moved. I would be happy to have it mounted to my roof or the light pole next to my house. The city dump truck backed over the Comcast Box at the street today but thankfully I can connect to Steilacoom WiFi"